Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Ode to the Beret!

The town Soriana of Valdegeña, halfway between Pamplona and Madrid, will erect a monument to honour the beret.
Avelino Hernández, brother of the writer Ricardo Hernandez, says: "I know that my brother would agree to pay tribute to the beret, an essential garment of the rural essence of Soriano and therefore Castilia”.  
The City Council of Valdegeña, birthplace of Avelino Hernández and his family, plans to place the monument to the beret, a sculpture of the 'iron artist' Isidoro Saenz, in the upper end of the district. Not just for the elderly but for the coming generations who want to root with the culture of their land.

Ricardo says that he puts the beret in September and removes it in April, "because in summer it just bothers". 
He recalls the times when the garment swarmed over the heads of the majority of the young people and adults of the Soriano area, and indicates that when they were 14 or 15 years old, it was part of the usual attire. "My father's grandfather, my grandfather, my father and then my brother Avelino and I used it at my house," he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment